Have you ever wondered what sets businesses apart in today’s competitive landscape? What distinguishes those that thrive and grow from those that struggle to retain customers and stand out? The answer may lie in the elusive realm of customer experience—the very essence of what keeps customers coming back for more.
In a recent episode of the Business Growth Show, host Ford Saeks sat down with Scott McCain, a renowned expert in customer experience, to delve deep into the mysteries of “The Ultimate Customer Experience®.” Together, they dissected the challenges faced by businesses, the disconnects that can hinder their growth, and, most importantly, the strategies and philosophies that can transform how they serve their customers. In this blog post, we’ll unpack some of the key insights shared during their conversation and provide you with actionable takeaways to enhance your approach to customer satisfaction.
How to Craft a Memorable Customer Experience:
- The Crucial Disconnect: Scott McCain sheds light on the often-overlooked disconnect between a business’s vision for exceptional customer service and what its front-line employees actually deliver. This chasm can be a major obstacle to attracting repeat and referral business, highlighting the need for businesses to align their vision with reality.
- The High Cost of Mistakes: Gartner’s research reveals a sobering fact—over half of customers won’t give a business a second chance after a single bad experience. This statistic underscores the immense risk associated with failing to provide an exceptional customer experience. It underscores the importance of getting things right from the outset.
- Internal Customers Matter: A critical step in bridging the disconnect is prioritizing internal customers—your employees. Cultivating employee loyalty and fostering a work culture that promotes personal responsibility for customer experiences can have a profound impact on overall customer satisfaction.
- Articulate Your Philosophy: Establishing a clear customer or employee philosophy serves as the bedrock of your company’s culture, strategies, and tactics. It’s essential to make these philosophies relatable and actionable so that every employee comprehends and embodies them in their daily interactions with customers.
- Learn from Other Industries: Your competition extends beyond businesses in your industry; it encompasses every experience your customers encounter. Consider how companies, even from unrelated fields, handle customer service and incorporate those best practices into your own approach.
- Cherry-Pick Best Practices: Much like Jeff Bezos did with Amazon, explore opportunities to cherry-pick innovative ideas from other industries and apply them to your own. Think outside the box to discover fresh ways to meet customer expectations.
- Embrace Change: Challenge industry norms and embrace change and innovation. Remember that the ultimate goal is to deliver exceptional experiences to your customers, regardless of your industry or field of operation.
Scott McCain’s wisdom reminds us that customer experience isn’t confined to industry-specific standards but is shaped by the expectations and experiences customers encounter in every aspect of their lives. To excel in delivering the ultimate customer experience, businesses must prioritize internal customers, articulate their guiding philosophies, and remain open to fresh ideas from diverse sources. By doing so, they can bridge the disconnect between vision and execution, creating loyal customers who not only return but also refer others to their business. Ultimately, it’s businesses that adapt, innovate, and prioritize exceptional experiences that thrive in today’s competitive landscape.
For more expert advice in business, sales, marketing, life, and everything in-between, tune in to future episodes of Fordify LIVE! every Wednesday at 11AM Central on your favorite social media platform, or you can listen to new episodes of The Business Growth Show Podcast every Thursday on the podcast network of your choice.
Meet Scott: Scott McKain has been recognized by Social Media Marketing Magazine as one of the 50 most influential marketing authors on Twitter. A popular keynote speaker on creating organizational distinction and delivering the Ultimate Customer Experience, McKain is Chairman of the Distinction Institute.
Find Scott Here: https://scottmckain.com/