The Ethical Implications of AI – Are You Prepared?
Artificial intelligence has exploded in capability and accessibility over the past year. Systems like ChatGPT can generate human-like content, have conversations, and even help run businesses more efficiently. But how do you ensure the responsible and ethical application of this powerful technology?
On a recent episode of The Business Growth Show, host Ford Saeks sat down with ethics and culture expert Chuck Gallagher to discuss pragmatic perspectives on AI ethics. Should you feel anxious or excited about the AI movement?
How to Navigate the Uncharted Path of AI While Staying Ethical:
- AI is evolving rapidly – From new capabilities like voice, vision, and speech to integration into computers and phones, AI will continue advancing at a very fast pace. Businesses need to keep informed and understand how to leverage AI.
- Use AI as a tool, not an expert – Treat AI systems like an intern, not an expert. Do your due diligence to validate accuracy and check for biases or limitations. Set clear guidelines for acceptable usage.
- Customize for best results – Customize instructions for AI systems to better align with your brand voice and required sources/citations. This leads to more tailored, useful outputs.
- AI enhances creativity – AI can suggest ideas or content you may have never considered, enhancing creativity instead of replacing it. The focus becomes less about mundane tasks.
- Ethical considerations are a must – Conduct assessments, implement privacy regulations and ethical guidelines, and stay constantly informed on the latest with AI. Reinforce responsible and ethical application within your organization.
The technological growth we’ve seen in just the past 6 months with AI is staggering, ushering in new opportunities along with risks if used irresponsibly. As Ford and Chuck explored, organizations must carefully craft their policies, oversight mechanisms and usage guidelines to allow employees to tap into the tremendous upsides of AI while protecting privacy, ensuring transparency and reducing bias.
What specific actions should your company take today to promote ethical yet forward-thinking AI adoption? Consider designating an AI ethics leader to facilitate governance, requiring citations of auto-generated content before publication, and closely monitoring outputs for bias. Small investments now can pay huge dividends down the road as AI becomes further enmeshed into business and technology infrastructure.
The ultimate competitive advantage in business goes to those who harness AI as a force for good – innovating new solutions to global problems, lifting people out of poverty, discovering medical breakthroughs or elevating human creativity to new heights. Ensure your organization directs these unbelievable tools toward such worthy pursuits. Our future depends on it.
For more expert advice in business, sales, marketing, life, and everything in-between, tune in to future episodes of Fordify LIVE! every Wednesday at 11AM Central on your favorite social media platform, or you can listen to new episodes of The Business Growth Show Podcast every Thursday on the podcast network of your choice.
Chuck Gallagher is an American entrepreneur, speaker and author. He is the author of Second Chances and has been featured in media outlets including Life & Health, Small Business Opportunities, Business Week, CBS, CNN, Lifetime and National Public Radio.
Find him at ChuckGallagher.com